Why DD Ray is SO bad 
- 2023.01.21 17:34 (UTC+0)
So I wanted to quickly post why DD Ray is so so very bad so that the devs can actually give him a buff that matters.
Problem 1: DD Ray is hard countered by everything. Something has to give. He’s hard countered by Celine, Politis, AOLA, LUA, C. Zerato, Edward, Immunity (set and buffers), any hero with big or consistent shielding (diene, arowell), any hero that can cleanse but especially ML Kawerik, Destina.
Problem 2: Venom is a mediocre debuff as-is. Venom doesn’t fill the roll of ramping damage even when it isn’t dispelled because it does so little damage. Venom doesn’t do enough to pressure the enemy team even if it does land and isn’t removed. Venom has no utility and doesn’t get stronger with gear. In fact how do you make Ray “better” using gear? From a damage perspective you really can’t. Speed only improves his output a tiny bit.
Some ideas (obviously not all of these should be implemented):
- Give venom some utility outside of damage. Maybe venom could reduce healing of character afflicted, maybe it could heal Ray 10% per tick. Maybe venom could reduce speed and defense of the afflicted hero by 25-30%. Perhaps it could make it so a hero can’t counterattack. It needs to provide some kind of utility though.
- Make venom a debuff that can’t be cleansed and increase damage dealt. If he’s intended to deal damage, make him decent at it at least.
- Give his S3 dispel. Right now an easy counter to Rays S3 is to just buff immunity right before his S3. Honestly, for a hero that has to wait so long to use it, it should be really powerful.
- Give his S3 a damage component that inflicts damage and injury and that inflicts increased damage to a hero that is already injured. This change would reduce some of his counters. Right now he’s lunch meat for Celine and Politis who will likely have their passives back up when he has his S3. Having his damage completely depend on amount of injury inflicted is bad anyways since venom performs so poorly in actually inflicting injury at all.
- His S2 should give him an extra turn. He’s already slow, he’s already squishy, why not give him a better chance at putting someone to sleep?
All in all I have been really disappointed with several of the recently released heroes. Sharun, Arunka, and DD Ray are awful and I’d say all 3 are candidates for “worst hero in the game”.